Thursday, August 1, 2013

Replanting basil

I didn't update my blog for a while because of having a lot of urgent work to do. Meanwhile my basil plant has experienced some changes and transformations. I'd like to describe all of them in one post.
Plant has grown enough to be replanted to hydroponic setup. Zachary Jones advised me to replant it after first set of true leaves. Unfortunately I've skipped first leaves because extreme lack of time - I had to finish and defend my diploma-work. At the moment of replanting there were already few sets of leaves on the plant.
Besides, seedling which sprouted on clay also grew a bit taller. I carefully took basil plant out of its cup with turf on its roots.
I made deepening in clay inside my hydroponic setup and put my basil plant inside. After that my plant constantly received full dosage of fertilizer. Besides roots constantly received oxygen from aerator.
For first 3 days there were no changes. I started thinking that replanting was bad idea. But apparently this time was necessary for adaptation. Starting from day 4 basil started growing very fast. This is how it looked approximately a week after replanting:
Unfortunately the seedling which sprouted on clay died. I think - because of overflow. Hereafter I filled hydroponic setup with fertilizer on regular basis and watered leaves with dispenser. After 3 weeks basil grew very big.
It's leaves are sweet. Added to a salad or porridge they added wonderful aroma to a meal. I never noticed same quality with basil from a store.
I decided also to describe my observations about my first hydroponic setup. Its undeniable advantage is easiness. Such a setup is very easy to build and also to use. But on other hand it has also huge disadvantages. This is open type setup. As a result fertilizer evaporates very quickly. In one month I spent about 5 l of solution. In my opinion it is quite big amount. Second disadvantage is size of setup - about 2-3 plants can be planted only. Enlarging it would mean also increasing expenses on substrate (in this particular case - clay).

No comments:

Post a Comment