Monday, September 8, 2014

Greens on floating raft - failure


My last experiment also regretfully failed. After being replanted into hydroponic system plants significantly withered.
Seeking for a reason of my failures I checked pH level of fertilizing solution. Test showed value of about 8. I was quite surprised with such a fast rise of pH level of solution. By adding some vinegar I adjusted acidity of solution back to 6. But when I checked pH level next morning it was 8 again. I repeated procedure of adding vinegar next 2 days in a row and both times next morning pH level was 8. I decided to check pH level of clay to find out if it is the cause of my problems. I put a handful of clay into 1 l of water for half a day and checked it's pH afterwards. Result of this test was 8 although in the beginning it was about 6. It became clear that clay was guilty in my previous failures also. I decided to use more neutral substrate for my following experiments. Most probably it will be coco-coir.

No comments:

Post a Comment