Saturday, May 24, 2014

Lettuce germination

After long break I returned to experiments with hydroponics. This time I am growing lettuce. Like basil lettuce is easy to grow and not demanding. For me as a beginner it is quite important option. I want to grow 3 different breeds of lettuce at the same time - 'Pirat', 'Salad Bowl' and 'May Queen'.
For this purpose I've purchased mini-greenhouse.
After filling plastic cells with turf I planted few seeds in each.
http://hydroponeast.com is advising to water substrate well and feed seeds with low concentration fertilizer from the beginning. I mixed solution with half of recommended concentration. I used Vito 1 liquid fertilizer for this purpose. Recommended pH level for lettuce is 2,8-6,1. PH test of my solution in substrate showed approximately 5,5 which I considered to be good.
After watering substrate I put cells into mini-greenhouse and left it in a room with good air circulation and temperature about 18 degrees by Celsius.
In theory sprouts should germinate in nearest 3 days. After that they're supposed to be taken out of mini-greenhouse and put under good light for one week. When sprouts grow bigger I will replant them into floating raft system. I'm going to describe how it's built in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment