Thursday, May 9, 2013

Tracking mistakes

By advice of Jan Wildeboer I've bought pH test and checked pH level of my nutrient solution. It turned out that pH level of my solution is about 6.

Optimal pH level for growing spinach is from 5.6 to 6.0. According to that I conclude that pH level of nutrient solution have no guilt in failure of my first experiment. There are two possible causes left - toxicity of mineral-wool and lack of light. Additionally Paul T. Juckniess explained that my plants was submerged too deep into solution and usually the crown of a plant do not tolerate being semi submerged. So next time I won't submerge my plants that deep. But in this specific case plants stopped developing earlier - before replanting them into hydroponic setup. This is why I assume that in my case problem was mineral-wool and lack of light. I will try to grow next stack of seeds on turf under natural sunlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment