Monday, May 13, 2013

2nd experiment - basil germination

This time following Zachary Jones advice I decided to germinate a plant which is easier to grow hydroponically - basil. Besides I decided to germinate seeds on turf. I was in need of special baskets for this purpose. I've seen them on foreign websites but didn't find anything alike in my city. I made decision to make  baskets by myself by cutting holes in paper coffee cups.
I learned from mistakes of my first experiment that pH level of substrate should be checked before planting seeds. Test showed pH level about 6 which is optimal for basil.
After filling cups with turf I planted seeds about 1 cm deep. I planted sweet basil Holy in 2 cups and Thai in another two.
I put cups into container and watered them well with warm water. In materials on growing basil which I have read it was mentioned that few days after planting seeds fertilizer shouldn't be used. Recommended water temperature - 22-24°С.
I placed container with cups into self-made growhouse described in one of my earlier posts. Recommended temperature for basil germination is 22-24°С but recommended air humidity 93-95%. Thermometer inside growhouse shows 22°С. I am worried about air humidity. Right now I don't have any tools to check it or keep at constant level. I decided to use a bottle with sprayer. I will spray water inside my growhouse few times every day. Now I have to wait few days for my seeds to germinate. Then I will move seedlings to window sill to continue growing under sunlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment